Thursday, May 17, 2007

Graduation

Last week was the Commencement ceremony for SLCC. As I said in my last post, I received my diploma a while back, but they only do commencement once a year, so I had to wait until May to walk.

I went back and forth for a long time, trying to decide if I really wanted to do it or not. It seemed kinda stupid for me to walk when I'd already received my diploma, but at the same time, it's part of the whole, graduation tradition. So, finally, I decided I'd do it.

I thought it would be a little lame, but I figured at worst, I get a day off of work and that's never a bad thing.

Most of the day went as expected. Show up two hours early, stand in line outside in the 80 degree heat in black polyester robes until they're ready for us (I'd like to find the guy who thought THAT would be a good idea...), and the obligatory speakers. We had the Assistant Labor Secretary speak at commencement. Yeah, a politician. Ironically enough, the politician was the SHORTEST speech of them all. Kinda threw me a bit.

Anyway, after all of that, they had us leave the room so we could come up on stage and have our names read as we came through. Everything was going as planned until I got on stage. The lady read my name and I smiled. It really added a sense of accomplishment to the whole thing. I was surprised. I didn't think it would be that kind of an experience, but I'm certainly glad that I did it.

1 Comments:

At 9:10 PM, Blogger katmandusuekookachoo said...

Congratulations, looks like its a little too late.. also read your "not much" blog, so now tell me... What's up? It's been a loooong while.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home