Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Overdue Reunion

Back in my home town last night and decided to swing by Kat's house to see if she and Becky happened to be home. As I pull up the street, I see Kat's car and what must be Becky's new car.

Cool, they're home. They have no idea I'm coming. *chuckles to self*

I walk up to the door and ring the doorbell. (Man, high school flashbacks.) No one answers. I knock. Still no answer. I turn around and look. Car in the drive way, Kat's car, Becky's car and one other out front. Someone's gotta be here. I ring again, no answer.

I can hear kids laughing nearby, so on the off chance they're out back with Kat's kids, I walk around the side of the house. Sure enough, there they are. Kat, her boyfriend, Becky and Kat's parents. No one has seen me yet. *chuckles to self*

"Kat," I say, just loud enough to be heard. No response.

Kat," a little louder this time. Everyone turns and looks. Kat and Becky come running down the stairs from the back porch, the look on their faces is priceless. That alone was worth the trip.

They invite me in and we eat, we catch up a little bit and after that it feels like old times, just hanging out.

It was amazing. 10 years since we've seen each other. We've all been through different things, all grown up, all changed a little bit. But despite it all, it felt just like old times. And it didn't feel weird at all. Sometimes you see people you haven't seen for a while and you don't quite know what to say or what to talk about. Not with us. It seemed like we slipped backward 10 years, just friends hanging out.

We talked about this and that. New stuff, old stuff, it didn't matter. We talked about our friends that weren't there. (You guys were missed.) It was nice to be back in the company of good frineds and just feel... I guess comfortable is the word. Yeah, comfortable. Like coming home.

Wish the rest of you could have been there with us.

2 Comments:

At 3:45 PM, Blogger Becky said...

Aw... I have to agree with you Justin, though I haven't the way with words you do, I feel the same way. It was nice gettin together, and a shame we hadn't done it earlier. Keep in touch!!

 
At 5:21 PM, Blogger katmandusuekookachoo said...

jeesh, buster! you almost brought a tear to my old eye! I think perhaps age, or marriage has made a sentimental man outta you... which is not a bad thing whatsoever.... it was really good to see the golden boy again, I hope you take us up on the invitation for burnt flesh n lazy days under the trees over the summer... would be great to spend some real time with ya... any and all of our 'old' friends and spouses or significant others invited, of course.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home