Sunday, April 23, 2006

Don't drive with drunk people

First night in Houston this week. We got in at 3:00 and immediately were called in to work. Damn... This was supposed to be a day off.

Go into the office here in Houston. No one is happy. This was supposed to be a light day for them too. 5 or 6 of them got called back into the office to work on an issue. My boss is one of them. We work for a few hours. My co-worker and I who flew in today haven't eaten since about 7 in the morning. We were hoping for dinner.

After the major issue is resolved, we decide that it is finally time for some food. Good, I'm starving. We go to a little sports bar not far from the office. My boss, two of my co-workers, another lady from the office and myself all grab a table and order. As the only non-drinker, I become the designated driver. I don't mind. I'd rather be driving than let someone else drive after a night of drinking. Besides, the rental car has a GPS system to guide me where I need to go... At least, that's what I thought.

After the sports bar, and another sports bar, we head back to the car to head home. The woman from the office takes shotgun... and immediately takes control of the GPS system.

"No big deal," I think. "She'll put in the destination and that will be that."

Not so much. She turns the display toward her and says, "I'll guide you. You don't need the map."

Grand. She's been drinking all night, and now she thinks she's going to guide me home? You're kidding.

"I need the map," I say, hoping she'll see the wisdom in letting the SOBER person in the vehicle see the map so he knows where to go.

Again, not so much...

"What? You don't trust me?"

"NO!" I want to scream. But I restrain myself. While she's distracted by something (and really, who cares what it was?) I turn the display far enough that I can see it, but hopefully not far enough that her inebriated mind won't realize that it moved.

Fortunately, she doesn't notice. She does try to dance (unsuccessfully) in the passenger seat. *shakes head*

After returning to the hotel, we part ways. I think she said something about going to the latin bar down the block. Man, I hope not. She's going to be hating life enough tomorrow morning if she goes to bed now...

Oh well, to each his own. Now to the shower and to bed. Gotta work early tomorrow. More from Houston later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home